From:
Jerry van Dijk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 26 Oct 1997 12:11:45 MET
In message  <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] writes:

> >the Ada community is not interested in this [financial] market.

>   If an Ada-DOD-embedded expert decides to quit his job and sell
> software written in Ada in the financial market, he's probably
> going to lose his money, and I think he knows that.

Well, that would depend... there is quite a lot of embedded work
in the financial market. Think about ATM's, smartcards,
self-service offices, homebanking, etc.

Part of the problem might be that in this respect, Europe is ahead
of the U.S.

As an example: last week the ING introduced its own telephone
which doubles as a PIN- and SMART reader. With it, its customers
can put their bankcard into the telephone and use it to do
payments, transfers, load the money chip, etc.

Note: I am not talking future here, you can buy this here right
now.

>  If a financial
> systems person decides to develop his next system in Ada, he may
> do very well.

_IF_ he has the level of Ada knowledge to make it work, and has
all the right tools and bindings.

>  I think you'd do better to look in the financial
> systems industry than in the current 'Ada community'.

No, I strongly feel that you need both to be successful. Suppose I
would want to introduce Ada in a project. Let also assume (since
I am not going to rehash my paper) that this will be
infra-structural software. Also assume the budget would be
sufficient to build the required bindings ourself.

Two problems occur:

a) To get it of the ground, I would need at least one or more
   experienced Ada programmers, to support those who are just
   started to learn the language;

b) I need to use a compiler/tool vender who is at least aware of
   some of the major issues in banking.

To achieve this, some awareness in the Ada community is needed.

> 2) make the Ada guy a less likely entrepreneur. <d&r>

<g>

But aren't the guys running Aonix, ACT, RR, Rational, ... supposed
to be just that ?

-- Jerry van Dijk | Leiden, Holland
-- Consultant     | Team Ada
-- Ordina Finance | [log in to unmask]