Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 14:17:28 -0700
From:
"Martin C. Carlisle" <[log in to unmask]>
> BTW, the "demo" version of Claw is free, and open source, and while not
> including all the fancy bells and whistles, it is all by itself a
> non-trivial, useful thick binding to Windows.  It really seems a shame
> to me (having spent quite a bit of time working on Claw) for a) there to
> be multiple re-inventions of the same wheel and b) multiple people
> spending a lot of time doing/waiting for those reinventions.  Better to
> build on top of one another's work than to attempt each time to start
> over.

I don't understand what you mean by open-source.  Here's what I
see in claw.adb:

    --
    -- CLAW - Class Library for Ada and Windows.
    --
    -- This is the root package containing various global types,
exceptions,

This is what is in readme.txt:

[To make the lawyers happy, we have to mention that Windows 95
and
Windows NT are trademarks of Microsoft.  All contents of the .Zip
files are
Copyright 1996, 1997, 1998  R.R. Software, Inc.
P.O. Box 1512, Madison WI  53701
All rights reserved.]

This sure doesn't sound like I could develop/modify/expand and
redistribute.  I liked what I saw about CLAW from the SIGAda
paper, but most any price multiplied by 1000 cadets/year gets
expensive.

--Martin

Martin C. Carlisle, Asst Prof of Comp Sci,
US Air Force Academy, [log in to unmask]
http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/bios/carlisle.html

DISCLAIMER: The content of this message does not
necessarily reflect the opinions of the US Air
Force Academy, or the US government