From:
AdaWorks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 07:05:09 -0700
On Tue, 16 May 2000 [log in to unmask] wrote:

> I had a look at ESP's website last night and I searched for Ada. It came up
> with
> 15 or so matches (most of which were Green Hills advertising), but I'm sure I
> saw a list that suggested there *was* an Ada compiler targetted to the 8051. I
> remember it because I was surprised to find it, but I'll check again tonight in
> case I'm wrong.

There are no Ada compilers for the I-8051.  Even if there were, it would
not make much sense to use Ada for most I-8051 applications.  Most
8051 programs are deployed on minimal memory (anywhere from 256 to
2000 bytes) even though it technically can support 256,000 bytes under
some circumstances.  Most 8051 installed applications are single-threaded.
They tend to be focused on solving a single small problem in a minimalist
design.  Consider a typical 8051 embedded application:  a simple stepper
motor.  The sensors are simple, the actuators are simple, the program
is simple.  The program is typically written by one person working from
a sketchy specification.  Granted, there are more complex programs
written for the 8051.  Some friends of mine, here in Silicon Valley,
have a little company that specializes in developing 8051 software for
medical devices.  Even those programs, though, tend to follow a set
pattern and are much smaller than what one would expect of a typical
Ada application.

If we are going to promote Ada, let's focus on those platforms best
suited to it.  In a meeting yesterday, I was advised that a group
working on Lynx OS has decided that Ada is no longer meeting their
needs because they have upgraded to Lynx 3.0 and they cannot find
an Ada compiler for it.  They have been using Ada on Lynx 2.5. If
we do not support the platforms we start out supporting, those who
choose Ada will continue to be frustrated when they decide to upgrade
to the next level of an operating system.

Richard Riehle
http://www.adaworks.com