Sender: "Team Ada: Ada Advocacy Issues (83 & 95)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 12:29:30 -0500
From: Mike Brenner <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Jeff,

I have no trouble from lack of Ada software tools (as I used to have 20 years ago when that was a problem).

The only frustration with the language is that every Ada job offer
want to pay less than half the salary of a junior
computer programmer. A line of Ada code is worth at least
25 percent more than a line of Java and at least 50 percent
more than a line of C++, and should be paid that way.

I want to do more paid Ada work, but not with a 50 to 75 percent
salary cut!

Although most of my deliveries are in java, python, SVG, XML, and owl nowadays, most of that code starts as Ada and gets generated into the target languages by awk and python regular expressions.

And, still today, the fastest way to debug code in languages beginning with the letter C (for example C, C++, C sharp, and CORBA) is to translate them into Ada, modifying the code and design as needed, and then convert them back.

It also helps to define clean interfaces in Ada prior to creating C++ templates or Java abstract classes or Java interfaces.

Mike