Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 17:14:25 -0700
From:
John Apa <[log in to unmask]>
I guess the question then becomes "How much failure is marketable?"

I don't think it's just you. There's a lot of emphasis on safety
critical, maybe we need to include basic reliability also. Banking,
utilities, and communication systems may not fit the typical "safety"
slot, but they are just as critical to our modern life as planes staying
in the air or keeping trains on track. If those don't seem like a safety
threat think of sitting in a dark cold house with a dead phone line
trying to dial 911 because you're having a heart attack (induced by your
bank losing your life savings and then charging you a $15 overdraft
fee!) Granted, this won't happen to may people but it makes the point
that we are very dependent on these modern systems.

The Y2K problem is educating a lot of people about how dependent they
are on computers/software. They are terrified! We can't say that Ada
would have prevented the problem, but Y2K can be used as a spring board
to show how important it is to have reliable (Ada!) software in our
everyday lives. Any tools (Ada!) that help to achieve that end would be
seen as valuable.

Good enough isn't, when it's your money, your job, your family, or your
life.

My $0.02

John T Apa
L-3 CSW