"S. Ron Oliver" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 07:11:10 -0600
At 02:52 AM 7/1/02 +0000, Rick Duley wrote:

>Hi Teamers
>
>I am working on a student programming assignment and I have in mind a
>Line-Of_Code counter for Ada programs.  Obviously, the first problem is
>the definition of a Line of Code.  The quick solution is that it is
>anything which ends with a semicolon but that has problems - to whit: is a
>'with' statement a line of code, or maybe a parameter declaration?
>
>I have been unable to locate and literature reference to this issue and I
>wondered if anyone couple point me at something.  Alternatively, maybe
>some good teamers who are in the software development industry could tell
>me how their companies, or the industry in general, define a line-of-code
>for the purposes of paying contract programmers.

I specified and developed a very useful line-of-code counter several years
ago, that actually works for Ada, C, and C++.  (May work for Java, too, but
I haven't given that any thought, yet.)

I will be sending Rick complete documentation and the source code in a
separate message.

I am copying everyone else on this just in case anyone else is interested.

sro

S. Ron Oliver, the U.S. representative for Top Graph'X, developers of high
quality software components, using Ada, including OrbRiver the
multi-language ORB.  A single distributed programming environment for all
developers.  Supports Ada95, Java, and C++.

For more information, check out www.topgraphx.com.

Semi-retired professor of Computer Science and Computer
Engineering.  www.csc.calpoly.edu/~sroliver