Sender: "Team Ada: Ada Advocacy Issues (83 & 95)" <[log in to unmask]>
From: Hal Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 16:36:12 -0700
SIGAda EC and OTHER INTERESTED PARTIES:

We are one week from booth setup at Object World-West in SF, and for
the first time ever we have no volunteers to work the booth.  Earlier
msgs sent by Ed and my URGENT msg last week failed to get any
(costing only about $200) to erect the booth, I can not be there
during the primary exhibit days Tues-Thurs AM (July 22-24); I could
probably get back Thursday afternoon to pack & ship the booth.

Ed does have a short list of names in the SF area we could contact
individually about working partial days, but I think the risk is high
that we won't have sufficient staff without one dedicated full-timer,
even if we spent a lot of time this week calling the potential
part-timers.  (A potential ACM staffer from the Advertising Department
who might have attended and probably would have managed on our behalf
OK, has gotten conflicted and will not go.)

SO, do we cancel if no one immediately steps forward as pretty much a
full-time booth manager in SF next week?  Or do we just set up the
booth unattended with lots of handouts in the racks & and tables and
try to find someone to stop by and restock the racks daily?  Which
looks less bad for Ada & SIGAda -- being a no-show or having a booth
with no people?

I can't believe this is a show so unimportant that not a single
Ada champion's employer could be persuaded to invest 4 days of time.
I can believe that it's too late to start asking now.

Ugh,
        -- Hal