Sender: "Team Ada: Ada Advocacy Issues (83 & 95)" <[log in to unmask]>
From: Peter Hermann <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 11:30:26 +0200
On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 07:27:05AM -0700, AdaWorks wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> Although this is not Team-COBOL and not a forum for COBOL
> advocacy, I feel the need to raise my voice in support of
> this much maligned language.
>
> If you remember COBOL from the 1968 or 1974 standards,
> your deprecation of the language
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    wwrroonngg!!

> could well be justified.  Starting
> with the 1985 COBOL standard, some powerful features were added

Richard,
reread my comments and you will acknowledge,
that I merely expressed the capabilities of Ada
and was curious about report_writing, which was well
explained by Alexandre E. Kopilovitch.
As a Fortran veteran I readily appreciate the value of
those old languages but I would rather prefer seeing more
flexibility in peoples minds in place of freezing worn out
languages by adding on and on.

In any case, your letter was informative!

cheers,
Peter

--
Peter Hermann Tel+49-711-685-3611 Fax3758 [log in to unmask]
Pfaffenwaldring 27 Raum 114, D-70569 Stuttgart Uni Computeranwendungen