Date:
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 10:58:27 -0500
From:
Jack Beidler <[log in to unmask]>
On the Latin for "In Ada we trust"

After receiving this request through the Team Ada list server, I immediately went to
our Jesuit community here at Scranton.  After stating the request for a Latin
translation of the phrase, "In Ada we trust", the room immediately erupted in
chaos.  It was hard to determine whether anyone was listening, or if they were each
carrying out their individual monologue.  All of a sudden there was pushing and
shoving, then the fighting erupted.  I immediately left the room and closed and
locked the door.  Several hours later, when the noise subsided, I opened the door.
There in front of me stood the last Jesuit.  As he collapsed to the floor he
uttered,

                            "Confidimus Ada, confidamus Ada".

Seriously, I talked with a friend of mine who is a Latin scholar and we discussed
the various Latin words that might translate as "trust".  After describing to him
what Ada is and what the phase is about, he felt that the Latin equivalent would
best be describe as "having confidence in the programming language", hence the
result above.  "Confidimus Ada is a direct translation. But if we want to be cute,
"Confidamus Ada", translates as "Let us trust in Ada".

Jack
--
John (Jack) Beidler, Ph.D., Professor of Computer Science
Computing Sciences Department, University of Scranton, Scranton, PA 18510