From:
Mike Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 10:33:19 -0500
Hi all,

I'd appreciate your help in answering the following question:

Is it unsafe to rename a type using an unconstrained subtype?

I've read in Barnes 2nd Ed (page 333) that range checking is disabled for
unconstrained subtypes, so this would seem to imply that only constrained
subtypes are really safe.  I'm primarily interested in where, if at all, a
range check would occur.  My first assumption was that a check would occur
if an object of that subtype was passed as a parameter, but Barnes' example
would seem to rule that out.

If I must use a constrained subtype, then so be it, but I'll miss the
convenience of leaving off the seemingly redundant constraint.

Thanks,
Mike