From:
"S. Ron Oliver" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
S. Ron Oliver
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 16:19:04 -0600
At 08:15 AM 9/27/01 -0700, Aba Aņover wrote:

>Greetings! I am a third year computer science
>student in De La Salle
>University, Philippines. We
>  are currently taking up a course called THEOPRO
>which stands for Theory of
>Programming Languages.
>  As a requirement for the course, we were tasked
>to learn a programming
>language on our own and
>  make a software project using that language. My
>partner and I were
>assigned the language Ada. I
>  came across your site while doing research on
>the language. Our professor
>told us that we have to
>  make a software project that would be able to
>show the powers of the Ada
>language compared to the
>  other programming languages. Can you please
>give me some ideas on what
>types of software project
>  we can do in order to show this? Thank you very
>much.

So, am I correct in assuming you are currently upper classmen?  - i.e.,
Juniors or Seniors?

How many different programming languages do you already know, and which
ones are they?

How long do you have to do your project?

In all probability, there is FAR MORE power in Ada than in any language you
are likely to compare it with - more than you can possibly "show" in the
time you have.  The best you can hope for is to pick a FEW of Ada's
strengths.  The ones I would recommend would depend on your answers to the
previous questions.

But a general answer to your question is that range of values
specification, parameter modes, named parameters, generics, tasking, and
clean, precise block structure tend to top the list.

sro

S. Ron Oliver, semi-retired professor of Computer Science and Computer
Engineering.  www.csc.calpoly.edu/~sroliver

caress Corporation is proud to be the U.S. representative for Top Graph'X,
developers of high quality software components, using Ada.  For more
information, check out www.topgraphx.com.