From:
Bill Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 17:09:36 -0000
Unfortunately, I have seen many Ada projects fail because of poor
management, poor/inefficient process, lack of tool support for the process,
etc.

I was warning against projecting Ada as the panacea for delivering on time
and under budget. Ada in the context of an appropriate process is the best
combination.

Bill Taylor

From: Bob Leif, Ph.D.

I do agree with "Ada should be part of an overall strategy to develop
reliable, predictable, safe software."

I absolutely disagree with
"Choosing an appropriate process is far more significant in this respect
than choice of language."

I doubt if you have any proof of this statement. It is contradicted by about
10,000 years of human experience. The truth is one has an AND situation for
virtually all engineering and artistic efforts. One needs a good process AND
good tools and materials. Michelangelo was very particular about his choice
marble. A programming language is a tool. A simple counter example is: You
can not write a large program with reliability and at reasonable cost using
Lotus Macro language.

Rational will eventually realize that your customers will be unable to
separate the good practices and process that you provide from the horrors of
C++. Rational will take a significant hit for telling the customers what
they want to hear. One of the most important parts of a manufacturing
process is the selection of tools. For software that includes compilers.

Your customers will really receive value, as you stated below, when you sell
them both ROSE and an Ada compiler.