From:
Richard Conn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Conn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2000 19:25:57 -0400
Randy,

If Microsoft has not created standards, then how can there be thousands
of products conforming to them?  How can there be a certification program
in place for people?  How can such an industry have evolved around it?

How can I develop a Web Browser using this which is compatable with
virtually
every website out there, including the MSN communities, in 2 hours?
How can I write a program in Visual Basic that exploits a timer and
multitasking in 30 minutes that runs on my own PC and a family of Pocket PCs
with different CPUs?

Granted, it took me a while to figure out the big picture well enough to
write the Web Browser and the Pocket PC demo app.  But any system this
complex
will take a while to learn.  And the documentation I used, in the MSDN
Library
(which I view as the source of the Microsoft standards), was very clear to
me.
I am working at a higher level of abstraction when I do this (Visual Basic),
but it's still a standard.

As for your issue about "clear" and "unclear," isn't that a matter of
background
and perception?  What is clear to one person isn't necessarily clear to
another.
The background you need to have to understand some of these standards may be
extensive, but that does not detract from the standard.  It simply means
that
the standard is written for a specific audience.

Randy, your arguments simply don't make sense in the face of the industry.
Just open your eyes and look around ... the Microsoft standards are there
and
working.

You are welcome to try to contradict what I just said.

Rick
Richard Conn, Principal Investigator
Reuse Tapestry