From:
Robert Cheetham <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Cheetham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 1998 16:38:26 +0100
Gary Kephart wrote:

> Bill Brooks wrote:
> >
> > Last time, Gary Kephart wrote:
> >
> > ] Most Ada jobs are for embedded, real-time systems. That's because that's
> > ] where Ada shines the best. How many people are looking for that type of
> > ] job?
> > ] I for one really like Ada, but I don't want to do any more embedded
> > ] programming or defense/aerospace work.
> >
> > An undergrad came to me looking for advice on a career path a few days
> > ago and she said she was interested primarily in embedded systems. Can
> > someone please expand upon what exactly is so repugnant about the field so
> > that I can present her with a more balanced viewpoint?
>
> Well, I for one never said "repugnant." From my own personal standpoint,
> embedded systems are not as "glamorous" as GUI systems. I like seeing
> buttons pressed, lists filled, windows pop up, etc. It's easy to see the
> results of my work. I also do not like working close to the hardware,
> which you usually do with embedded systems.
>
> Of course I expect different opinions than mine to exist. If that
> undregrad wants to work in embedded systems, more power to her. It's
> just not for me. I was simply wondering rhetorically) how many people
> are looking/interested in embedded systems and how many aren't. My bet
> is that there are more who aren't.
>
> Gary

I have worked with computer systems for the last 20 odd years and have
used Ada, C, etc., almost always in real time embedded systems, from
space hardware to hand held instruments to telephone systems. I have
also written my share or user interfaces both GUI, text and limited
selection of buttons.

I prefer embedded systems every time, whatever the language is !! Why,
because I get a kick out of making something in the "real world"
actually happen.

Right now I'm contracted to NASA/Boeing on a simulation system for the
new space station, parts in Ada, parts in C. I prefer the Ada but I
really don't care so long I get the satisfaction of making a system
work.

Robert

Plug: I am available from March 1st for new employment either permanent
or contract.

Robert Cheetham                 |  Daimler-Benz Aerospace
4749 Nasa Road 1, #53           |  1020 Bay Area Blvd, Suite 110
Seabrook, TX77586               |  Houston, TX77058
Tel: (281)414-4214              |  Tel: (281)461-8409
[log in to unmask]           |  [log in to unmask]

Software Engineer, Project Manager

Disclaimer: These views are mine and do not represent anyone else