From:
David Wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 1997 10:20:19 -0500
Chip Richards said:
>3.  There are already two shipping compilers (one from Aonix, and one from
>Intermetrics) which produce Java Byte Code from Ada95 source, with more on the
>way.  Again, including a free GNU compiler.  I am quite excited about a
>machine-independent executable format, and Ada95 lets me exploit it while
>retaining all the advantages of a modern high-level language.

To my knowledge NO ONE IS ACTIVELY IMPLEMENTING a free Ada95->Java
compiler based on GNAT (the "free GNU compiler").  There's been a lot
of talk, and several have indicated interest.  I even developed a web page
describing how to do it (since modified by Magnus Kempe), at:
  http://www.adahome.com/Resources/Languages/gnatjava.html

Note that the Intermetrics compiler's price is low enough that many
hobbyists can afford it, so there's less incentive to build a "free"
compiler.

It's quite possible technically to use GNAT to build an Ada95-to-JVM
compiler, but don't confuse "possible" with "will happen".

--

--- David A. Wheeler