Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 10:13:58 +0000
>>I recommended to several department chairs that both schools of
>>Engineering and Computer Science should require a one year internship
>>prior to graduation.

>Interesting. My own proposal is similar to this.  My proposal is that
>prospective software developers should get a REAL degree in Math, Science,
>and/or Engineering (preferably all three), THEN do (at least) a one year
>internship.  I tend to think it would be better if it were 1 1/2 years or
>longer.

I don't see why Comput(er|ing) Science should not be considered as a REAL
degree, as long as the course content is adequate. I'm not a CS graduate, I did
Electronic Systems and Microcomputer Engineering. I have a problem however with
the suggestion that Maths and Science degrees are more REAL as far as software
development is concerned than Comput(er|ing) Science.

I have met quite a few Maths and Science grads who have been developing software
and in quite a lot of those cases the results have been appaling! Certainly an
internship (whatever that is) sounds like it is probably a good idea, but why
not just make sure the CS degree course provides a suitable background. Surely
that would not be too difficult?

The impression I get from comments I've heard on this list is that CS course
organisers need to use hip and trendy languages and methodologies to attract
students. As far as I can see, this should not necessarily prevent CS students
being taught the fundamental principles of software engineering, but your
comments seem to suggest otherwise (not in all cases of course).

John

recipient please delete it from your system and notify the sender
immediately by telephoning +44(1252) 373232. You should not copy it
or use it for any purpose nor disclose or distribute its contents to
any other person.