Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 08:39:03 -0400
From:
Mike Brenner <[log in to unmask]>
PDR stands for Preliminary Design Review. In addition to the root library units and
main programs, the prototypes are evaluated at PDR. Certainly the user interface
and any high-risk algorithms have gone through many performance demonstrations to
the user and been blessed by PDR time. If the prototypes were well designed, then
most of the code of the project is already done at this time and just needs to be
interfaced together. The mistakes to avoid are: (a) allowing global variables, (b)
permitting software environments instead of standard file formats, and (c)
scheduling a PDR to occur before the prototypes are actually working.

CDR stands for Critical Design Review. The mistake to avoid is: (a) Scheduling CDR
before all tests, code, interfaces, training, tools, and maintenance are fully
designed or before all deficiencies discovered at PDR are remedied.

CM stands for Configuration Management. This is the science of tracking what parts
are in each level and which parts changed in each baseline of software. CM uses
techniques such as: (a) taking backups, (b) unique numbering, (c) process models to
track use of parts, (d) tools to automatically compile and test a baseline, (e)
tools to automatically create a version description document for each baseline, (f)
tools to track which Customer Service Requests were completed in each baseline,
(g) tools to prevent anxious managers from permitting split baselines, since the
cost of merging baselines back together is usually much higher than developing in a
modular fashion, and (h) tools to compute progress, volume, and clustering metrics
on the process.

Mike Brenner