From:
Hal Hart - Past SIGAda Chair <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jul 1997 19:07:58 -0700
On this, my 2nd day of double-dipping (hey, I was Chair TWO terms!)
into the lucrative SIGAda Chairs' Retirement Fund established by
SIGAda's first Chair Anthony Gargaro in 1987, I wish to recognize,
thank, and express my appreciation to the 10 especially able,
knowledgeable, dedicated SIGAda members who served as my fellow
officers over my two terms these past 4 years.  Never before in the
history of SIGAda have all sitting officers simultaneously chosen to
not run for some post in our election as was the case this year, and
while we were exceptionally lucky to recruit a consistently strong
slate and elect proven people to every post this year, it will take
them more than just a little while for them to learn all the ropes and
form as strong a team as I have enjoyed the past 4 years:

  -  MARK GERHARDT (Past Chair, 1993-97)
  -  CHARLENE ROBERTS-HAYDEN (Vice Chair for Mtgs & Confs, 1994-97)
  -  JERRY MUNGLE (VC/Mtgs-Confs, 1993-94)
  -  ED COLBERT (VC/Liaison, 1993-95, 1997)
  -  LEWIS GRAY (VC/Liaison, 1995-96)
  -  RUDOLF LANDWEHR (International Representative, 1993-97)
  -  RUSS PLAIN (Treasurer, 1993-94)
  -  DAVE EMERY (Treasurer, 1994-95)
  -  CURTIS BRADLEY (Treasurer, 1995-97)
  -  BRAD BALFOUR (Secretary, 1993-95)

If SIGAda has made any modest contribution to the overall health,
stability, advancement, and vitality of the Ada "industry" and related
educational/professional objectives during my 4 years as chair, the
credit deserves to be broadly shared by these elected officers and a
large number of other SIGAda volunteers -- especially 3 active,
productive continuing Working Group Chairs: Mike Feldman - Education
WG, Currie Colket - Ada Semantics Interface Specification WG, Harry
Joiner - Reuse WG; and 2 WG Chairs who completed their missions and
products: Mike Kamrad - Ada Run-Time Environments WG, & Gil Myers -
Numerics WG; and Ada LETTERS's editor & technical editor: K.M. George
& Phil Brashear; plus 5 Tri-Ada Chairs I've worked with (Harry Joiner,
Peter Kortmann, Terry Doran, Jorge Diaz-Herrara, & David Harrison and
their excellent Program Committee Chairs; and many other hard-working
members in less visible roles, too numerous for me to remember and to
enumerate here; and two outstandingly helpful professional Program
Directors at ACM HQ, Patrick McCarren and Paul Rivera!

Of my fellow officers, SIGAda has already honored Mark Gerhardt,
Charlene Roberts-Hayden, and Ed Colbert (plus WG Chairs Feldman &
Kamrad and Myers's entire Numerics WG) with SIGAda DISTINGUISHED
SERVICE AWARDS over the past 3 years for their very long, substantial
volunteer achievements within SIGAda and the Ada community; Ed,
Charlene, and Mark have each served as SIGAda officers for approx. 8
years and have supplemented that by serving various other key SIGAda
roles stretching back into the early-1980's each.  I would like,
however, to single out one other retiring officer, BRAD BALFOUR, to
particularly express my recognition and thanks for tremendous
above-and-beyond-the-call-of-duty work as SIGAda SECRETARY the past 4
years!  In addition to faithful performance of regular assignments,
BRAD has grown the role of Secretary to keep us abreast of the advent
of electronic communications advances, including introducing and
maintaining SIGAda's award-winning website.  And, BRAD (and his wife
ELLEN) established a pioneering role as Publicity Chair for
Tri-Ada'96, bringing sorely-needed professional advertising/publicity
smarts to us that will pay dividends to Tri-Ada and SIGAda (and to the
Ada community too, I think) continuously in the future.  Plus, of
course, this husband/wife team designed the winning Ada LETTERS cover
redesign which hopefully you will all see in a few days!  BRAD has
constantly involved himself as an energetic, constructive,
idea-generating, contributor in all aspects of SIGAda governance that
come before the SIGAda Executive Council.  SIGAda has worked better
and is stronger now because BRAD has been in office these 4 years.
And, even though his now-increased job and family responsibilities
became too great to allow him to run for office this year, I have
little doubt that BRAD will continue to be an active SIGAda and Ada
community presence for years to come.  We sorely need leaders like BRAD!

You may assume that the previous paragraph is the fodder of a nomination
for a 1997 ACM SIGAda Distinguished Service Award which I will submit!

        -- Hal