From:
Michael Feldman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Feldman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 15:14:45 -0400
[said Rush]

> We're looking forward to this.

Me too!

> This year Clyde Roby implemented an on-line registration
> system for SIGAda 2000 conference.  It "pained" us all that he
> had to use Perl scripts instead of Ada.

Hmmm, it's not clear to me why he "had" to use Perl scripts
instead of Ada. What was the reason? Certainly AdaCGI and
GNAT are mature enough to have done the site that way.

I noticed the Perl only when I visited the site as one of
a bunch of "beta testers". By that time, it would only have been
irritating to everyone if I second-guessed the language he
wrote it in.

> Please keep me
> informed, I'd like to use AdaCGI for the "Where's Ada?"(tm)
> web pages.  So we can all see where Ada software is being
> developed or maintained.
>
> Rush Kester
> charter member Team Ada

Full disclosure requires me to add something.

The nice thing about the web is that it really doesn't matter
where stuff is physically; it's easy to link all over the web,
as we know.

The job registry won't actually _run_ on the SIGAda site at ACM,
but here at GW. Our plan was to develop it here, then migrate it
to ACM, but then I tried to install GNAT at ACM, and discovered
the hard way that ACM is running a VERY old version (1995) of DEC
OSF, and both GCC and GNAT have moved well beyond that version.

If ACM ever upgrades its OS, it will be easy to migrate our system
there - just install GNAT there (no problem, if the OS version
is halfway current), change a few path names and recompile there.

I'll try to discuss this with the ACM admins, once the system is up
and running on this end and it's not a theoretical problem.:-)

So the SIGAda 2000 reg site would not have _run_ at ACM if it
had been in Ada, but if that was the obstacle, we could (and
would) have easily hosted it at GW. I don't recall any discussion
of it on the SIGAda mailing lists I read.

Mike Feldman