From:
Michael Feldman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Feldman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 10:43:36 -0400
Chris et al,

> Hi all,
>
> My boss today asked that I compile as much documentation on the
> "C" versus "Ada" challenge.  I got the paper by the guy at Rationale.
> Are there any others, Mr. Feldman can you provide me information
> from an educator's point of view?
>
> --
> Chris Sparks, Boeing
> (714) 372 - 9791

Well, just about everything I can offer is on, or linked from,
the SIGAda education website at

http://www.acm.org/sigada/education

If you have any more specific questions, I'll try to answer. One
question that comes up often is "which colleges teach Ada?" Such
a question is very difficult to answer, because there are several
thousand colleges just in the USA. It would be at least one full-
time job to try to track curriculum content to that extent.

The website does link to a report on colleges teaching Ada as
the _foundation_ (typically, the first) language in a curriculum.
That site needs some updating, as we are losing some ground to Java,
but it's a reasonable approximation. I think the true number
of schools is within 20% of what you see in that list.

One paper of my own might be interesting, though it's only
sneakily an Ada-advodacy paper:

http://www.seas.gwu.edu/~mfeldman/papers/aspirations.html

which was published in June 1999 as an invited editorial
in the quarterly of the ACM Special Interest Group on Computer
Science Education (SIGCSE). You'll see the "Ada philosophy"
in that article, even though Ada is mentioned explicitly only
once or twice.

Be sure to pick up John McCormick's keynote presentation from
SIGAda '99, which is linked from the top-level SIGAda site.

Mike Feldman