From:
Michael Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 23:10:06 -0400
Following is a message I just sent to Cliff Sadler at ATA.

I want to thank all of the Team Ada subscribers for refraining from the
usual multiple message threads that sometimes follow the posting of
unwanted mail to the list. Of course, by sending this message, I'm
risking starting exactly what I just praised for not happening...! (In
other words, please continue your restraint by not continuing this
discussion.)

What appears to be happening is that other recipients of the unwanted
mail are assuming that Team Ada is the source, and are replying to our
distribution as well as to docexpress. Please continue to be tolerant,
as I am sure that we will see more such replies, depending on the size
of the original distribution. I am replying to each such message,
directing them to the proper source. I am also continuing to follow up
on each spam e-mail distributed to the list. This has cut down on the
number of repeat offenders.

Mike

----------------

Cliff,

Thanks for your apology. However, I suggest that you refrain from such
e-mail practices in the future. Because Team Ada was included in your
distribution, other recipients of the unwanted mail are replying to the
Team Ada distribution, expressing their displeasure with what they have
received. This, in turn, irritates the faithful list subscribers who
have been extremely reserved in their reaction to this and other recent
spams of this list.

I cannot believe that this kind of marketing is effective, nor can I
believe that it is condoned by Rational. Rational has other means of
communicating to prospective users of their products and those of their
partners. Rational News is distributed to those that have
voluntarily submitted their addresses.

Mike Berman
Team Ada list administrator