Sender: "Team Ada: Ada Advocacy Issues (83 & 95)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 16:05:43 -0800
From: AdaWorks <[log in to unmask]>
I am writing this in my role as Ada columnist for Journal of
Object-Oriented Programming (JOOP).

With regard to the message (below) from Secretary Paige's office forwarded
by Rush Kester regarding the abrogation of long-standing Ada policy:

I am composing my column for a future (probably June or July) issue of
the JOOP and will be expected to comment on this unfortunate decision.
I would welcome input from members of Team-Ada for quotation and
attribution in that column.

In my own opinion, this is an incorrect decision.  I intend to say
something to that effect in my column.  The long-term impact of this
decision will, I believe, open the door for all kinds of bad software
implementations.  The notion that the software engineering process will
result in selection of the correct language is overly optimistic.  That
is not now, nor has it ever been, the way language choices are made.

My column will deal with this in greater depth.  I look forward to
comments from anyone who would like to offer a differing view.  I will
try to include as many of you as I can.  Deadline is next week for
your [brief, please] comments.

I realize that whatever I write in my column will have no impact on the
decision.  However, I have a duty to report it to my readers, and that
duty dictates that I include points-of-view from others with an interest
in this issue.

Sincerely,

Richard Riehle