Apurva Shukla <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 28 Dec 2004 14:25:55 +0530
I have had experiences of switching from C to Ada and then back to C++.
Coming back to C++ is initially really strange as you see how exposed is
C++ program to silly errors that could have been made by the programmer.
        Type safety is one thing which can be appreciated most when you
come back from Ada.
        Ada code is closer to the design so it inculcates the discipline
to put exact design into code and not just to make a piece of code to
work somehow.
        It makes you aware of what all errors can be avoided even before
executing, by writing code that is safe. The safety part in Ada is
enforced and so when you come to languages like C++ you do it properly.
        In the end the most important lesson Ada teaches a programmer is
to be aware of what you are doing and then do that only. Ada compiler
wants to hear loud and clear what you intend to do from the piece of
software you are compiling before making a useful executable for you and
that is the lesson which will help a programmer which ever language he
uses.

Apurva Shukla
EMBEDDED SYSTEMS | EISAA | INFOSYS(r) (MYSORE) | EXT: 4351 | 9448456350
You think because you understand _one_ you must understand two. Because
one and one make _two_. But you must also understand _and_.
                                        --Sufi Sage