From:
Steven Deller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven Deller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 11:18:34 -0500
Robin,
You might want to check out Rational Apex. I don't believe you should be
deciding on whether to qualify names or not simply because you have
antiquated tools.

The Rational Apex browser will "jump" to the definition of an item with a
single click (same window or bring up another window), regardless of whether
name is qualified or not.  Numerous Rational Apex users get "hooked" on the
browser for this feature alone.

There are still arguments one way or the other about use clauses with regard
to "local readability", but the issue of locating the original definition is
taken out of the argument.

Even with fully qualified names, doing "tracing" as you describe can often
be difficult, particularly when separates are used or there are many similar
or overloaded names.  And then there is the problem of finding exactly where
a type definition is located in a large source file.

With the Rational Apex browser, one click takes you directly to the line
where the item is specified (a different click will take you to the body
definition for subprograms).

Regards,
Steve Deller