Terry Westley <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 09:04:15 -0400
On Monday, August 27, 2001 9:48 PM, Tony Lowe wrote:
>    * Perhaps Ada is not shrinking, but the rest of the software industry is
> growing so fast it is tough to see it as the same.  I would hope you can
> build 100 web sites in the same time it takes to build a single airplane.
> In reality, Ada has not made nearly the effort to be a super-web language
> as Java has, and an enormous percentage of software work is either building
> web stuff, or making existing stuff web enabled.   CGI is fine, but does
> not have nearly the comfy standardized framework as Servlets, JSPs, and
> EJBs provide.

There's more to Ada's web life than CGI.  With JGNAT, you can use Servlets,
JSP, and Java Beans to create dynamic data-rich web sites.  I've used the
Tomcat <http://jakarta.apache.org> JSP server for this and have also begun
using some of the other Jakarta products such as Velocity.

Advertisement: to learn more, come to SIGAda 2001 and specifically
my tutorial: <http://www.acm.org/sigada/conf/sigada2001/tutorials.html#SF2>,
"Web Application Development - Using Ada and JGNAT to develop web applications
using JDBC, JSP (JavaServer Pages), Java Beans, and Java servlet technology"

--
Terry Westley