From:
"S. Ron Oliver" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 17:18:29 -0700
At 04:45 PM 2/8/01 -0600, Randy Brukardt wrote:

> > A agree with you that JVM is "the" strong point of Java, so
> > when do we make our AVM then ?  (Ada Virtual Machines) huh?
>
>It already exists.

Based on the rest of your message you mean "sorta" exists.

>We did use JCode for (1), and it has evolved to include many Ada 95 features
>(such as protected types). Building an interpreter for it would be
>relatively easy, but it seems pointless. The primary advantage of the JVM is
>its ubiquity; a JCode interpreter would be available only on machines for
>which it was created (probably a set similar to that which support Ada
>compilers).

The point is, why couldn't your "JCode" compiler become a ubiquitous VM
interpreter, with relatively little effort?  With GNAT it seems to me that
virtually every machine of importance now supports Ada.

>If I was designing JCode today, I would do a variety of things differently
>(mainly eliminating implicit conversions, which as much trouble at this
>level as they are in a programming language). And I suppose it would have to
>have some form of dynamic loading (JCode doesn't have things that would
>conflict with uses (1) and (2), of course).

I'm not sure what all this means,  But maybe you should give it some more
thought.  (?)  :)

sro

S. Ron Oliver, semi-retired professor of Computer Science and Computer
Engineering.  www.csc.calpoly.edu/~sroliver

caress Corporation is proud to be the U.S. representative for Top Graph'X,
developers of high quality software components, using Ada.  For more
information, check out www.topgraphx.com.

Tired of sucky software! ?  Check out www.caressCorp.com and follow the
links to software sucks and The Oliver Academy.