From:
AdaWorks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 1996 15:15:54 -0800
The more times I read what I have available of this report, and the
justiication messages by various posters to this thread, the more I
think this report should be subtitled,

       "Seduced and Abandoned"

And the thought that the DoD should be following commercial software
practices borders on the ludicrous.  Has anyone seen what a comedy of
errors prevails in most commercial software shops?  These are the
same software shops that are making such stupid decisions as switching
their COBOL code to C++.  These are the same software shops that believe
they can used Visual Basic for long-term software, not realizing that
it is non-portable and deceptive in its apparent simplicity.  These
are the same software shops who deploy software that is poorly tested,
poorly designed, and coded by people who have minimal training in
development methods, and almost no knowledged of software engineering.

Commercial practices, indeed!  I see what happens in commercial
software development enviornments where bottom-line and budgets are
more important that quality and long-term maintainability.  I certainly
hope the DoD does not adopt too many commercial practices.

Richard

AdaWorks Software Engineering
Suite 30
2555 Park Boulevard