From:
Nasser Abbasi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nasser Abbasi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 1998 08:01:41 +0000
Michael Feldman wrote:

>  I think he's
> unlikely to finish the doctoral program, which he may regret at
> some point. But the salary was irresistible.

yes. I regret that I  left a nice Ph.D. computer science program that I was
starting at univ. of california, santa barbara, many years ago to take a job
offer with good salary, (actually now looking back, It was not that high, but
at the time, it seemed so, and I did not think long term).

Now, many years later I feel that was the most stupid thing I ever done, work
and jobs and broken software that needs to be fixed and re-written will always
be there, and will not run away, I think one should not let the opportunity to
get a Ph.D. degree slip away,  I still want to get it, since I love to do
research type work, but it is not as easy now getting back to school as when I
was younger, in particular after one gets used to making a good income, at
least better than a student would make :), but one day, one day, I'll go back
to school and do it!  so, I think your ex-student will regret it one day, I am
sure of it.

Nasser