Sender: "Team Ada: Ada Advocacy Issues (83 & 95)" <[log in to unmask]>
From: "Barbey, Stephane" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 17:13:07 +0100
> > I just browsed for some info in the MICO CORBA
> implementation. From this activity comes a number
> > questions and ideas that I would like to share with you.
> >
> > 1) Is there a GNAT IDL-to-Ada translator? If not, does
> anyone know of any effort in the area?
>
> Objective Interface Systems (www.ois.com) has been the primary player
> in the IDL-to-Ada market.  They have a tool, as well as an ORB
> to go with it, called ORBExpress, which supports both Ada 95 and
> C++.

If you just want an Idl-To-Ada translator (i.e. no libraries, no
run-time, free),
you may wish to take a look at the Mitre effort
(http://www.mitre.org/technology/idl2ada/IDL-TRAN.HTM).

> > I think that CORBA and Ada is a good match and that it
> would make Ada more attractive
> > to get in on this track.
>
> I agree, and so would OIS.

We (Paranor) are very happy with the OIS implementation of CORBA (i.e.
Ada is already on this track...). (And note that a CORBA implementation
is much more than just an IDL to Ada translator.)

> -Tuck

-Stephane

----
Stephane Barbey, PhD   phone: +41(31)828.92.17
Paranor AG             fax:   +41(31)828.92.99
3046 Wahlendorf            [log in to unmask]
Switzerland      http://lglwww.epfl.ch/~barbey