Date:
Sat, 4 Apr 1998 09:00:08 -0800
From:
AdaWorks <[log in to unmask]>
On Sat, 4 Apr 1998, Riley, John wrote:

... snipped a few introductory remarks

> ... Grady Booch is a lying
> moron!!! The Ada community made that bastard but you would never know he
> ever heard of Ada today. Yet even otherwise loyal members of the Ada
> community (are you reading this R. R.)  get in bed with them for a quick
> buck!

  ... snipped a few more of John's comments

  John,

  I continue to respect you and appreciate your frustration vis a vis
  the continuing low-visibility of Ada, I think it is important to note
  that, in Grady's published writing, he continues to affirm the superiority
  of Ada for safety-critical software.  I was pleased to see such
  affirmation in his recently published collection of essays from SIGS
  Publications.

  Also, R.R. could be my personal initials.  May assume you are not
  indirectly speaking to me. If you are referring to RR Software, I think
  it is fair to note that this is not a company which has ever been
  attracted to the "quick buck."  They have, instead, been a strong
  technical company with a modest sales and marketing infrastructure.
  A company with more marketing resources can help them remain alive
  to continue making important contributions in Ada technology.  Perhaps
  Rational was the only company to recognize the market potential of the
  the CLAW product.  If so, this is a case where Rational is also making
  an important contribution.

  As to your other assertions, I have no comment.

  David suggests this is the wrong forum for this kind of provocation. I
  wonder.  Perhaps it is good for us who subscribe to Team-Ada to hear
  the views of other Ada advocates, including their frustration with
  the advocacy effort along with their appreciation.  We can sometimes
  benefit from encountering the "dark side of the force."

  Richard Riehle
  AdaWorks
  Suite 30
  2555 Park Blvd