"Team Ada: Ada Programming Language Advocacy (83 & 95)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 10:49:16 +0100
From:
Paul Colin Gloster <[log in to unmask]>
On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 01:42:09PM -0500, Steve Schwarm, W3EVE wrote:

"[..]

Ada does not have [..] the preprocessor of
C and C++, [..]

The current popular languages C, C++ and JAVA as starting languages ruin
your ability to develop good reliable, readable, modifiable software.
They make simple programs much more complicated than necessary and
complicated programs even more complicated."

So Ada does not provide the means to fight with your workmates by changing
the meaning of the language such as the true example of a famous book
author who wrote
#define private public
when he decided that he was waiting too long for colleagues on a
C++ project to publish their interfaces. Exactly who it was I do not
remember, but he revealed that in an interview in the now out of print
magazine "EXE: The Software Developers' Magazine" by Centaur Publications
Ltd. which later sold the magazine to "Dr. Dobb's Journal". I do own a
copy of that so I could search for it if you want, but I shall not be
located within a few hundred kilometers of my "EXE" magazines for several
months so you will have to wait at least that long if you request me to
fetch it.

"These are my opinions and not necessarily those of current, past or
future employers."

When one speaks one speaks oneself so does not have to emphasize that it
is not another speaking. However I do like the
with Standard.Disclaimer;
use Standard.Disclaimer;
joke which I had seen in another thread perhaps on another forum.