From:
Blue Herring <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Blue Herring <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 06:30:39 -0700
I have an issue I would like to hear some feedback on
if I could.  Ada 95 introduced protected types, and
information on the new concurrent standard, which I
heard was the thing most changed from 83, is difficult
(at least has been for me) to get much detail on.  One
issue I had, was that I read somewhere that protected
procedures and so forth, when executed, will run until
completed, and not be interrupted by time slicing and
so forth.  This certainly does the job, but as a
learned friend of mine pointed out, Ada protected
types are meant to passively guard critical section
data, but time slicing in the middle of execution
would be fine, as long as mutual exclusion was
maintained.  Is there a specific way this happens in
the 95 standard, or is it implementation dependent?

I'm also curious if there is a compiler out there
which does enforce consistant time slicing, since Gnat
supposedly doesn't.

-Matt Goulet
     aka The Mildly Infamous Blue Herring