Sender: "Team Ada: Ada Advocacy Issues (83 & 95)" <[log in to unmask]>
From: Johnson Phillip E <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 10:54:56 -0600
[Tom Moran wrote]
>My understanding is that the U of I got money only *after* they went after
Netscape.
>If the code had been GPLed they wouldn't have gotten anything.

U of I licensed Mosaic to Spyglass for marketing.  Microsoft made a license
deal with Spyglass and proceeded to give IE away for free.  Microsoft paid
the minimum license fees and refused to pay for any of the free give always.
Spyglass sued Microsoft and won a good settlement [I think in the range of
$25 Million]. Netscape was not sued by either U of I or Spyglass.

Philip Johnson