From:
"R. Ebert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 1997 09:05:41 +0100
"Hal Hart (Hal Hart)" <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> This reminds me of some bad jokes about FORTRAN-to-Ada translators in
> the 80's (yielding "AdaTRAN"), but I have a serious customer request
> about whether there are usable translators from C++ to Ada 95 now.
>
> This might even be a more reasonable thing to do, assuming some
> intelligence in the s/w design using C++, than FORTRAN translation.
>
> It also sounds like a good opportunity for Ada that we don't want to
> pass on if there's a reasonable answer.
>
> So, anyone got a product to point me to?  (Short of buying Rational

Ask David Weller ([log in to unmask]).  He uses a Perl script to translate
the Booch components from C++ to Ada95.

> Rose for both Ada & C++, using the reverse capability of the latter,
> assuming their language-neutral design representation really works,
> and then generate Ada from the former ... )

This is exactly what Rational uses as one of their selling points for
Rose.  I heard a presentation last week at OOP'97.  Of course their
target language in the presentation was not Ada95 but Java... At least
they pretend that Ada95 would work equally well.

(BTW, they had lots of posters about Ada95 in their booth, but nobody
could answer my questions about the availablity of their compilers. UML
is the hot topic now)

>         -- Hal

        Rolf