Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 19:03:44 -0800
From:
"Robert C. Leif, Ph.D." <[log in to unmask]>
From: Bob Leif
To: Simon Wright et al.
Although, I disagree with Sy Wong on some subjects, he is absolutely right
on the need for VHDL and Ada to become one. From a pragmatic business view
point, it makes sense to merge the languages. As is well known, this should
have been done when they were both created.

The technical question is how to extend Ada '95 to include the functionality
of VHDL and maintain backwards compatibility for both languages. The human,
usually more difficult, question is how to get both groups to work together.
C++ should help provide motivation.

It must be emphasized, that chips with tens and soon hundreds of millions of
transistors require an Ultra High Reliability Language, UHRL. The chip
design companies should be very good customers, who can easily afford
expensive software engineering products.