Sender: "Team Ada: Ada Advocacy Issues (83 & 95)" <[log in to unmask]>
From: Mike Brenner <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 10:44:58 -0400
Shane Flint > ... Take a look at http://www.ainslie-software.com/AdaJNI for a
            > toolset that allows
            > you to use any Java API with native Ada compilers.

That URL does not display anything, but the following one does:
       http://www.ainslie-software.com/adajni/adajni.htm

I have no experience with this product, but I have two observations about
their Web Page:

   (a) it seems to indicate a promising technology that uses a large
       thin binding to permit native Ada programs to interface to a
       Java Byte Code Machine, and

   (b) it did not appear to state that there were no run-time charges for
       delivering software using these bindings: it is possible to
       interpret their main web page link on prices that each game
       you sell using their software will cost the game user five hundred
       ninety five Australian dollars. I recommend adding a statement
       to their main web page that under no circumstances will run-time
       fees or royalties be collected, just a development license per
       user (not per logon window or per machine?).

This has nothing to do with my previous post that the Ada Java compilers
compile Ada into Java Byte Code. Rather, this is a different kind of
product that does not compile anything.

Instead, this web page states that this product builds APIs
(Ada packages) that permit native Ada to use the Java classes
by interfacing to the Java Byte Code machine somehow.

This sounds like a good idea.