From:
David Botton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 19:47:18 +0000
DEVELOPERS want the RAD of Delphi, the power of C++, and the cost of
Visual Basic. (Developers buy their own copies for home when they can
afford it. There are also tons of people writing code out of their
garages.)

COMPANIES (most) choose their tools based on grass root decisions, ie.
the developers. If you want Ada to succeed in markets where
development is done from the hip, then you have to get to the
developers.

The flyer reaches out to companies that have a mature process for
developing software. If you want to expand the market, hit the
compaines at CMM level 1, chaos. You do that by handing the developers
"toys".

What Ada realy needs is a rapid prototyping tool like Delphi or VB.
(The "Toys")

Once the organization learns that solid products take more then drag
and drop, (That starts around Release 2 of their product when it never
seems to get through testing) they will be ready to take advantage of
what Ada can offer them for serious Engineering and not just todays
version of hacking (toying around with ActiveX controls) and the
purchase of serious commercial compilers with support will follow.

I noticed Aonix had a VB like builder, but it is not priced to hit the
grass roots and the demo version is crippleware, so who knows its real
value.

Most companies and developers don't like Ada, because Ada doesn't like
them.

Ada has been a very particular women, no slobs and hackers for her! I
think that if Ada looked like a 90's women with drag and drop RAD, she
would get the slobs to clean up and dress up.

If any one is interested in an effort to create a copy left RAD front
end for Ada, that will generate code for any Ada compiler on the back
end, let me know.

Even if you are not, please e-mail any ideas, specs, etc:

If you build it, they will come.

David Botton

---"Robert I. Eachus" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>      Actually, another selling tool (but not for
everyone) would be to push