Ada Marketing <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 16:59:37 -0400
Group,

Beard, Frank wrote:

> Rick,
>
> I'm not sure if David Wood was talking about Aonix or not (oops,
> did I say that out loud), because I'm curious as to why they aren't
> part of this list, or haven't responded.
>
> Have you tried working with, or contacting, any of their people?
>
> http://www.aonix.com
>
> They have a pretty decent MS Windows development environment,
> including a GUI builder (ObjectAda for Windows), and are probably
> in the best position, of commercial vendors, to integrate in with
> current/new MS technologies.  It seems like a short step for them to
> move their current product from one MS platform to another.  Of
> course, it always looks easier to those who aren't the ones having

That is the issue.  However we will be looking closely at this for the next
major release of ObjectAda for Windows.  7.2 came out in March.  We released the
first patch update a week or so back.  7.2.1 is scheduled to be complete and
released from engineering towards the end of this year.  Shipping is likely
around the end of January (as of today's schedules).  We have planned
maintenance releases every 6 months after a major release.  These are scheduled
for all products through Sept. 2001.  The goal is a minor release every 6 months
and a new major release once a year.  Integration with MS developer studio would
be looked into for the next major release.

> to make it work.  Ed Falis mentioned in an earlier e-mail that they did
> some early porting to WinCE 2.0.

Yes Ed did look at this and it appeared to be a minor effort to support it.
However, what is the market for CE?  Certainly MS thinks a lot of it.  But the
major embedded development community is much more interested in VxWorks, LynxOS,
then Linux before looking at WinCE.  If someone has a large program considering
Ada95 on CE I'd like to here about it.  So far we have only had tire kickers.

> Dave Wood, or Ed Falis, could probably give you the name of a
> good contact at Aonix.

That would be me.  I am listening, but didn't have too much to contribute.  Plus
I was on travel all last week (Sunday to Saturday).  On travel 4 out of the past
days the week before.  Out yesterday and on travel again tomorrow.  Thus I did
not have the time for any lengthy response.

As for supporting Pocket PCs...  I do think Ada is one of the best languages
available.  It certainly is a viable (if not the best) for embedded computing.
However it is a bit large.  Thus it's use on a Pocket PC is unknown in my mind.

What is the group consensus on it's use in this environment?

--

Greg Gicca
Aonix Ada Marketing account