"Team Ada: Ada Programming Language Advocacy" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Georg Maubach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 May 2009 11:32:49 +0200
Hi All,

I am preparing a general suggestion for improvement into the group-wide ideas and innovation management system of my employer. For this I would like to back up me suggestion with some articles about the advantages of using Ada.

I have so far:

Proof that a software development project using Ada takes less - instead of more time - than expected: „The Return of Ada“  (http://gcn.com/Articles/2008/04/11/The-return-of-Ada.aspx?Page=1):.

Proof that complex systems within the logistics and transportation industry work more reliable and can be better maintained using Ada than other languages: „European Train Control System“ (http://www.adaic.com/atwork/euro.html):

List of software systems based on Ada that work without defects and are therefore never heart of (http://www.seas.gwu.edu/~mfeldman/ada-project-summary.html, http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~dirk/ada-belgium/success/success.html).

Ada is tought at German universities, programmers could be recruited from there (http://www.ada-deutschland.de/ful/index.html).

Proof of the activities of the Ada user community: FOSDEM 2009 - Ada Developers Conference Room (http://www.cs.kuleuven.be/~dirk/ada-belgium/events/09/090207-fosdem.html),
Ada Europe Conference 2009 (http://www.ada-europe.org/conference2009.html),
ACM SigAda Conference 2009 (http://www.sigada.org/conf/sigada2009/),
Discussion Group (comp.lang.ada)

Tools and Utitilites can be bought from many manufacturers, supplier change is possible if needed, no single supplier dependency (http://www.ibm.com/software/awdtools/developer/ada/, http://www.eds.com/, http://www.adacore.com, http://www.aonix.com, http://www.ddci.com, http://www.ghs.com)

Training courses are available from different suppliers (http://www.ddci.com/, http://www.abssw.com, http://www.classwide.com/).

What is missing are articles relating to the following:

- There are enough Ada programmers available.
- Ada can be used with more success than other languages. There was a software development project at a university which asked a first group of students to use C (not successful) and asked a second group of students using Ada (succeessful).
- Links with content (e.g. research) that proofs that development with Ada results in less defects than progams in other languages
- Links with content (e.g. research) that proofs that development with Ada results in better maintainable software

Can you help me with links and information on the aspects still missing?

Are there other aspects I should give information about concerning the use of Ada?

Regards

Georg