Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 17:48:31 -0400
From:
Victor Giddings <[log in to unmask]>
At 9:55 AM -0700 10/11/99, AdaWorks wrote:
>Mapping UML to Ada is an intersting notion. It would seem that
>UML can map to most of the Ada language but not all of it. UML
>seems to have been designed mainly for C++ with features added
>later to support Java.
>
>Though I am no expert on UML, it seems that Ada is richer in composition
>mechanisms than one finds in the modeling notation of UML.  For example,
>Ada's child library units, particularly private child library units, do
>not seem to fit well into the UML notation.  There are other little
>differences that seem to be outside the modeling capability of UML.  For
>example, generic formal signature packages such as,
>
>            generic
>               -- type and operations parameters
>            package Signature end Signature;
>
>use for instantating generic formal package parameters.
>
>Is there a mechanism in UML that corresponds to semantics of the protected
>type?
>
>I seem to recall that Ed Colbert was working on something that would extend
>UML notation to provide a more complete mapping to Ada.
>
>Richard

Those considering extending UML should consider that the OMG is now the
maintainer of UML, so a ready avenue exists to "standardize" these
extensions. Current work items include:
- Action Semantics for UML RFP
- CWMI RFP
- UML Profile for EDOC RFP
- UML Profile for CORBA RFP
- UML Textual Notation RFP
- UML Profile for Scheduling RFP
- UML 2.0 RFI

More info can be found at
http://www.omg.org/techprocess/meetings/schedule/index.html

Victor Giddings            [log in to unmask]
Senior Product Engineer    Objective Interface Systems
703-295-6500               1892 Preston White Drive
Fax: 703-295-6501          Reston, VA 22091-5448