Date:
Thu, 11 May 2000 16:17:37 -0400
From:
Michael Feldman <[log in to unmask]>
Frank wrote,

> Mark Lundquist wrote:
>
> > Similarly, I don't understand the
> > level of contempt that would lead someone to stuff the ballot
> > box.  Someone actually thought ESJ was dumb enough not to check
> > for duplicate votes, and that they didn't deserve enough respect
> > not to multiple-vote.  As a result team-ada ended up looking like
> > bozos.
>
> Is this true that they know the ballot box was stuffed?  I thought
> I read they "suspected" it was being stuffed.  If we did do it,
> shame on us.  I was hoping (or getting my hopes up) to see
> some useful numbers.
>
> Frank Beard
> FB Inc. Consulting

AFAIK, they did not know whether the ballot box was stuffed;
they apparently had no filter to detect this. They must have
suspected it was happening because (I figure) they couldn't
believe there was that much Ada out here.

I wrote to the guy privately and politely, wearing my SIGAda
Education Chair hat, and explained that the Ada community was
very well networked. If a lot of us responded to the "Get-out
the-vote" campaign, including my own efforts in this regard,
so be it. I kinda think the numbers were real, knowing how
many of us hang out on the net and jump at the chance to say
something about Ada.

Probably the C folks didn't turn out in such large numbers.

I'll let you know if I get a reply; I have not gotten one
yet. The ESP guy's original response about ballot-box stuffing
was re-posted here by somebody. I hope it was with permission;
if not, re-posting it verbatim was very poor netiquette.

If I get an answer, I'll ask for permission to re-post verbatim,
or just provide a summary here.

I agree with the latest thread that advises us to chill out and
lighten up a bit. Respond to FUD, yes, but always politely and
intelligently. There's a lot of ignorance out there, but
ignorance is not stupidity or malice. Let's inform without
looking like jerks. It's easy to be cynical about this stuff,
but let's save the cynicism for each other.:-)

Mike Feldman