"Team Ada: Ada Programming Language Advocacy (83 & 95)" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
"Marc A. Criley" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 2005 07:51:22 -0600
I don't know that I'd call it a scurrilous diatribe, here's the only mention of Ada that came up when I searched that issue online:

"Throughout the Cold War, the Pentagon spent enormous amounts of national treasure for specialized software that ran everything from aircraft systems to early-warning radars. As ever-cheaper computing power spawned mainstream consumer products, military applications became small, complex, high-cost islands in a sea of shrink-wrapped commercial software. The Pentagon's 1980s mandate that ADA and Jovial programming languages be used for weapon systems led to their becoming orphans as commercial software tools became de facto global standards. Soon, the Defense Dept. found itself reliant on a dwindling supply of ADA and Jovial code-writers. Most programmers opted, instead, for the big bucks earned writing for telecommunication, personal computer and video-game companies."

I remember reading this IT-themed issue a couple weeks ago, and my only real complaint with the contents as a whole was that the writer(s) pretty obviously did not have strong software development background, and so there were errant nits and details (like "ADA") that kept showing up.

Marc A. Criley
www.mckae.com

Available at www.mkae.com:
  XPath In Ada (XIA) v1.00
  DTraq - Data Logging, Monitoring, and Playback