Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 16:24:36 +0000
Colin

From your comments, it would seem the lecturer is a bit more than misinformed!

As far as object orientation is concerned, it would be worth making sure he is
given the chance to read Ben Brosgol's paper comparing the object-oriented
features of Ada 95 and Java. With respect to the Rendezvous, it would be worth
making sure he reads Ben Brosgol's paper comparing the concurrency and real-time
features of Ada 95 and Java.

Both of these papers are locatable through the AdaPower web site, but I guess
Ben could probably provide you with copies directly.

Furthermore, I would suggest discussing his comments with his superiors. As you
probably know, lecturing to students is often only a small part of a faculty
member's duties and in certain cases they seem to think it is not very
important, preferring to concentrate on their own, money making, research work.
It sounds to me like you've got one of these.

>Yesterday he claimed that Java is object based because a Java program must
>use classes (sic) but that C++ is object oriented because you can ignore
>objects altogether and just use C (sic).

He clearly appears to be talking out of his arse here!

Make sure he reads Ben Brosgol's papers, and speak to his superiors.

John

recipient please delete it from your system and notify the sender
immediately by telephoning +44(1252) 373232. You should not copy it
or use it for any purpose nor disclose or distribute its contents to
any other person.