From:
"Kester, Rush W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 10:37:45 -0400
History has shown that is not always technical superiority that wins, but
marketing and perceptions.  While Java may be mediocre, it is an integrated
concept that meets the perceived need for portable software solutions and
utilizes the existing software knowledge base.

Ada meets these same needs, and IMO ups the anti to "Portable, Reliable, &
Maintainable Software Solutions."   Almost all those who have gotten past
the hype and the learning curve and seen Ada at work will agree.  Two areas
where I think the Ada community needs to work on are:  increasing the Ada
knowledge base (leveraging on the C & Unix knowledge most programmers got in
school), and bringing down the cost of Ada compilers and tools to be
competitive
with those intended for the mass market.

While many argue that Ada's high reliability is "worth" more and those
interested
in these attributes will pay more; this market is IMO too small to base
Ada's
future on.  Rather than "bad mouth" Java's mediocrity, Microsoft's
unreliability,
and C/Unix'es cryptic nature, I for one would like to hear everyones ideas
on stategies for building partnerships with market leaders and leveraging on
their success.

Rush Kester
Software Systems Engineer
AdaSoft at Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab.
email:  [log in to unmask]
phone: (240) 228-3030 (live M-F 9:30am-4:30pm, voicemail anytime)
fax:   (240) 228-6779
http://hometown.aol.com/rwkester/myhomepage/index.html