Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 1998 15:03:15 -0800
From:
Gary Kephart <[log in to unmask]>
Michael Feldman wrote:

> > Here's something else you may want to consider: the _type_ of Ada jobs.
> > Most Ada jobs are for embedded, real-time systems. That's because that's
> > where Ada shines the best. How many people are looking for that type of
> > job?
>
> Hmmm. Is this an oversimplication of the application domain?

Well, it _is_ a simplification. Not sure about _over_simplification.

> > I for one really like Ada, but I don't want to do any more embedded
> > programming or defense/aerospace work. I want to do GUIs, which usually
> > aren't present in embedded systems. There's not many (any?) Ada GUI
> > jobs.
>
> Hmmmm. Is the flight-deck instrument panel in a 777 a GUI? Is it
> a real-time embedded system? How 'bout an ATM? How 'bout the little
> GPS-based navigational terminal in those new Hertz rental cars?

I was thinking about OpenWindows, Motif, the Mac GUI and MS Windows,
but, granted,  those that you pointed out _are_ graphical.

> Guess which ones are in Ada.
>
> (Oh, OK, I'll give it away - #1 and #3. _Someone_ had the job of writing
> the UIs for those...:-))
>
> > Maybe there's just a mismatch betweeen the types of jobs many people
> > want and the types of jobs that Ada has infiltrated?
> >
> > Gary
>
> It's true that Ada has been more heavily used in the sectors you
> (and I) mentioned above than in, say, office automation or web
> browsers. OTOH, those sectors are broader than some may think.

But does broader necessarily translate to more desirable? That, I think,
is the problem. I have no proof, mind you, just a gut feeling.

> Mike Feldman

Gary

Gary Kephart, Software Engineer  |  Investment Technology Group, Inc
Phone: (213)270-7544             |  400 Corporate Pointe, Suite 855
Fax:   (310)216-0933             |  Culver City, CA 90230
mailto:[log in to unmask]        |  http://www.itginc.com
Team Ada member                  |  "The Future of Trading"

Disclaimer: these are my opinions, not ITG's.