Help for CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS Archives

CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS Home

CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS  February 2000, Week 1

CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS February 2000, Week 1

Virtual Heritage Network Announcement - Please distribute

Virtual Heritage Network <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 2 Feb 2000 19:42:36 +0900

 The International Society on Virtual Systems and MultiMedia
is proud to announce the official Launch of the

                VIRTUAL HERITAGE NETWORK

The Virtual Heritage Network [VHN], is a new international organisation
designed to promote the utilisation of technology for the education,
interpretation, conservation and preservation of Natural, Cultural and World
Heritage. The network is a physical and electronic network of people and
organisations in many countries currently working in the virtual heritage
industry.

Complete story below.

http://www.virtualheritage.net

More information:  [log in to unmask]

PLEASE DISTRIBUTE TO INTERESTED COLLEAGUES

International Society on Virtual Systems and MultiMedia
CONTACT: Scot Thrane Refsland
http://www.virtualheritage.net

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
New Network Organisation for International Virtual Heritage Established

2 Feb 2000, GIFU, JAPAN -- The International Society on Virtual Systems and
MultiMedia (VSMM Society) announced today the establishment of the Virtual
Heritage Network [VHN], a new international organisation designed to promote
the utilisation of technology for the education, interpretation,
conservation and preservation of Natural, Cultural and World Heritage. The
network is a physical and electronic network of people and resources in many
countries currently working in the virtual heritage community.

The Virtual Heritage Network [VHN] will address many issues on an
international scale by offering services to the virtual heritage industry
and community through conferences, projects and information dissemination.
The main feature of VHN is the website [http://www.virtualheritage.net], a
substantial database of news, conferences, events and employment
opportunities.  The main feature is an online electronic Library for the
permanent archival of manuscripts, projects and websites relating to Virtual
Heritage.

Executive Directors of the new organization are: Prof Takeo Ojika [Japan],
Gifu University; Prof Robert Stone [UK], Scientific Director of Virtual
Presence (UK)/MuSE

Technologies (US); Scot Thrane Refsland, Executive Director of VSMM Society,
[Japan]; and Alonzo Addison, Director of the Center for Design Visualization
at U.C. Berkeley, USA.  VHN also has a board of directors consisting of
international professionals and researchers in the industry.

There has been a strong international growth of interest in the prospect of
using VR to recreate historic sites and events for such purposes as
education, special project commissions and showcase features at national and
World Heritage visitor centres.  In the context of heritage, VR goes much
further, however, in that it offers a means of protecting the fragile state
of some sites and can help educate visitors not so much about their history,
but in how to explore, interpret and respect them.  Yet, even though the
Virtual Heritage industry and community has grown substantially, it is still
fragmented and difficult to find researchers, projects, news and events or
how to produce virtual heritage applications.  Many times researchers will
duplicate efforts because they did not know of existing research or case
studies.  The Virtual Heritage Network provides a common network point to
solve these problems through education, administrative, legal/financial case
studies, and member interaction tools.

Prof Ojika, founder of the VSMM Society and Virtual System Lab at Gifu
University, saw the need for such an organisation and began searching for
other like minds. "Heritage is extremely important as it tells about our
sociological, cultural and natural past.  Virtual Reality technologies are a
great way to increase our understanding of this important part of human
life," says Ojika. In this sense, we gain human wisdom by integrating the
eternal values of our heritage and ever-progressing technology in perfect
harmony. Thus, the Virtual Heritage Network System is used to realize a
common ground where people around the world can communicate with each other
freely, toward the coming 21st Century."

"Here in Gifu Prefecture, says Ojika, we've been working on Virtual Heritage
through the VSMM Society's International Conferences which host a special
session on Virtual World Heritage with the kind support of the UNESCO World
Heritage Centre. We've also produced several projects at the Virtual System
Laboratory, including the Shirakawa go Grass Hut Village.  Shirakawa Go is
an extremely important heritage asset to Japan and is a dying art form.  We
wanted to document this process and since it's located in Gifu Prefecture,
it is only appropriate that we modeled it in VR to enable many people to
explore it that live outside of Japan.   We've been so successful with this
project that the Prefectural Government is now supporting our efforts in
Virtual Heritage through assisting with a more formalized production
facility for virtual heritage applications.  With this new production
facility, we will begin producing a project for Japanese school children to
work on virtual heritage projects, as well as offer low cost/no cost
production assistance to other international projects. In the future, we
want to develop strong relationships with many countries to collaborate on
projects that will promote better cultural understanding between countries
through the VHN network system."

Bob Stone, a long time expert of VR and father of the English Heritage
Virtual Stonehenge site, says the key issue to Virtual Heritage is
accessibility. "As with industrial and commercial applications, the time for
being overawed by Hollywood-style 3D graphics and VR component technologies
per se has passed.  The key issue now for virtual heritage is accessibility.
This means paying attention to what some might consider more mundane
issues - usability, the human-computer interface, database interchange
formats, accuracy and ethical responsibilities.  Accessibility also demands
the putting in place of a global communication infrastructure to provide
formative experiences and, of course, entertainment (but not entertainment
that detracts from the real heritage content).  Access must not just be
restricted to those who work in the expensive laboratories where the virtual
heritage developments occur."

In the UK, membership of VHN is gaining pace.  The most recent partners
joining the VHN partner program include the Lion Salt Works in Northwich,
Cheshire, the Manchester-based Advanced Telematics Centre and, in the
north-east of England, the University of Teesside's VR Centre.

In collaboration with the Carnegie Trust, the Lion Salt Works
(http://www.lionsaltworkstrust.co.uk/) has been working with Virtual
Presence to carry out a VR development programme based around the historic
salt mining town of Northwich.

The Telematics Centre (http://www.atc.mcc.ac.uk/), an initiative funded by
the European Regional Development Funding to support Small and Medium-sized
Enterprises, brings expertise in IT network facilitation media conferencing
and on-line delivery, an important contribution to the VHN's goal of making
international heritage more accessible through the medium of VR.

The University of Teesside (http://vr.tees.ac.uk), home to one of the UK's
academic "reality centres", has recently become involved in the
establishment of the Northumbria Heritage Virtual Reality Centre, to be
built at the Historic Quay in Hartlepool, UK.  The Teesside's Management
Team is chaired by Prof. Stone.

Other founding participants include English Heritage and the Monastery of St
Francis & Gorton Trust (http://www.gortonmonastery.org.uk) in south-east
Manchester (representing one of the 100 most endangered sites in the World
Monuments Fund's Year 2000 directory).  European membership is expected to
grow dramatically over the next 12-18 months.

Prof Stone says,  "We've designed the Virtual Heritage Network to address
these issues so that we provide accessibility through networking of the
professionals who are producing the content and the visitors who will use
the applications. The combination of VR and Heritage has become a very
powerful new tool for the heritage industry."

"Minja Yang, Director of the Asia/Pacific region of UNESCO's World Heritage
Centre agrees. "We see virtual reality as a very important management and
educational tool that can aid researchers and planners in the conservation
and development of their world heritage sites. Yet at the moment the
potential of this new technology is largely unknown by many site managers.
We have been working closely with the VSMM Society for over 2 years by
participating in conferences on Virtual World Heritage, and we are excited
to see the Virtual Heritage Network established as a result of our efforts.
It will create opportunities to enhance our mandate in heritage conservation
and preservation. VR will never take the place of visiting the actual site,
rather, it will provide a substantial contribution to interpretation,
preservation and enhancement to a visitor's experience, especially with the
younger generations who are already very computer savvy."

Since 1996 The International Society on Virtual Systems and MultiMedia has
been hosting the VHN and have been working and collaborating in this area
through Special Sessions on Virtual World Heritage, published articles in
many Journals and international Newspapers.  In November 1999, an official
announcement for the establishment of VHN and the web database was made at
the Annual UNESCO Site Manager's meeting in Poitiers, France.

Currently VHN is producing a special Session on Virtual Heritage during the
VSMM2000 conference in October 2000 in Japan. [http://www.vsmm.org/vsmm2000]
and will be releasing a large format, full colour Book on Virtual Heritage
in the summer 2000.

Membership to the Virtual Heritage Network and the use of its services is
free.  For information, please refer to: http://www.virtualheritage.net.
The VSMM Society can be found at http://www.vsmm.org