Help for CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS Archives

CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS Home

CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS  February 2007, Week 2

CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS February 2007, Week 2

CfP: 2nd Int. Conf. on the Pragmatic Web (22-23 Oct. 2007, Tilburg, NL)

Simon Buckingham Shum <[log in to unmask]>

Simon Buckingham Shum <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 8 Feb 2007 05:06:56 +0000

2nd International Conference on the Pragmatic Web

        "Building Common Ground on the Web"

         22-23 Oct. 2007, Tilburg, The Netherlands

         www.PragmaticWeb.info

TRUST AND COMMITMENT: Whether we look at our geo-political and
environmental context, work within and between organizations, or our
local communities, there has never been a greater need for
understanding across cultural, intellectual, and other boundaries.
Whether the context is international policy, distributed teamwork, e-
business, or community mobilisation, fundamentally, people must build
trust and commitment to common goals by talking and acting together.

        What role does the Web have to play in these complex processes?

GET PRAGMATIC: The study of "pragmatics" is driven by an interest in
action. It illuminates how it is that we manage to evolve mutual
understanding and commitments in conversation. Central to this
perspective is the understanding that the meaning of everything we
say and do is contextual. When contexts change, meanings change in
conversations, documents, and models of the world. This is something
that we manage fluently in face-to-face conversation, but when
working on the Web over space and time, tools must still support
adaptation to new contexts. A focus on pragmatics draws attention to
how communicative actions are performed via Web media.

THE PRAGMATIC WEB CONFERENCE is a unique forum to envision and debate
how the emerging social, semantic, multimedia Web mediates the ways
in which we construct shared meaning. While there is much research
and development into topics relevant to this challenge such as
collaboration, usability, knowledge representation, and social
informatics, the Pragmatic Web conference provides common ground for
dialogue at the nexus of these topics.

WE INVITE YOU as a researcher or practitioner working on these
challenges to join us in October to share your work, and to come and
find out what others are doing. This is an emerging network of people
exploring the intersection of established intellectual traditions and
the fast changing Web: come and help shape the community!

CHALLENGES include:

* How can we better understand the usefulness, and limitations, of a
concept such as "Web Pragmatics"

* What pragmatic design principles improve websites where trust and
commitment to action are central?

* What are the tradeoffs for users of more structured Web
collaboration media? (e.g. in learnability, scaleability,
intelligibility)

* How can participatory work practices and collaboration tools be
orchestrated in the design of the standards, data models and
ontologies that underpin data-driven Web applications?

* What role does pragmatics play in the design of personalised
information and personalised actions channelled through the Web?

* What impact (intended or unintended, productive or disruptive) do
different levels of computational infrastructure have on Web pragmatics?

* How can we clarify our understandings of increasingly important
concepts on the Web such as "social ties", "metadata", "knowledge
representation", and "transaction"?

* If "context" is pivotal in making human interaction meaningful, how
can we take context into account to improve Web applications?

Previous work has identified the following as relevant topics to
consider:

Theories, Frameworks, Models and Methods

...inspired by Pragmatics and Pragmatism, or less formally, case
study reflections on "pragmatic" uses of the Web that supported the
negotiation of social/work relationships and common ground

Applied pragmatic theory
Communication, dialogue and argumentation models
Context models
Design processes from requirements to maintenance
Evaluation perspectives and methods
Linguistic metaphor: its value for framing the Syntactic, Semantic
and Pragmatic Web
Technology acceptance/media choice theories
Integrative frameworks: approaches to integrating insights from
component disciplines (e.g. language-action perspectives, cognition,
linguistics, semiotics, knowledge representation, philosophy,
interaction design, negotiation)

Pragmatic Perspectives on Technologies, e.g.

Collaboration and coordination tools, both synchronous and asynchronous
Modelling tools
Tagging and other annotation tools
Software for forging and evolving social networks

Activities in which pragmatics play a key role, e.g.

Argumentation, dialogue and debate
Business and other organizational transactions
Collaboration, social networking and coordination
Engaging and mobilising the public to act
Information brokering
Learning
Managing collective knowledge
Negotiation, mediation and conflict resolution
Sensemaking, analysis and decision-making

Key Dates

We invite full papers (max. 10 pages in conference format), short
papers and design case studies (max. 4 pages), and poster displays:

Submission Deadline: 7 May (17:00 GMT)
Notification of Acceptance: 29 June
Final Version: 28 September
Conference: 22-23 October 2007

Conference paper template: www.pragmaticweb.info/media/
ICPW2007_Template.doc
Submit papers to: icpw2007 {at sign} pragmaticweb dot info

Publication

The proceedings will be digitally archived at a permanent URL in a
University Library eprint repository, ensuring free access,
minimising conference costs and maximising impact. Selected papers
will be invited for re-submission to one or more journal special issues.

Conference Chairs

Simon Buckingham Shum, The Open University, UK
Mikael Lind, University College of Borås, Sweden
Hans Weigand, Tilburg University, The Netherlands

Programme Committee

Mark Aakhus, Rutgers University, USA
Pär Agerfalk, Jönköping International Business School, Sweden
Jens Allwood, Gothenburg University, Sweden
Robert Biuk-Aghai, University of Macau, China
Geof Bowker, Santa Clara University, USA
Jan Dietz, Technology University of Delft, The Netherlands
Tom Gordon, Fraunhofer FOCUS, Germany
Ian Horrocks, University of Manchester, UK
Christian Huemer, University of Vienna, Austria
Myriam Lewkowicz, Univ. de Technologie Troyes, France
Kalle Lyytinen, Case Western Reserve University, USA
Ann Macintosh, Napier University, UK
Clara Mancini, Open University, UK
Aldo de Moor, Vrije Universiteit Brussel
Willy Picard, Poznan University of Economics, Poland
Wolfgang Prinz, Fraunhofer FIT and Aachen University, Germany
Andrew Ravenscroft, London Metropolitan University, UK
Chris Reed, Univ. Dundee, UK
Gary Richmond, City University of New York, USA
Nicklas Salomonson, University College of Borås, Sweden
Mareike Schoop, University of Hohenheim, Germany
York Sure, University of Karlsruhe, Germany
Yao-Hua Tan, Free University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
James Taylor, University of Montreal, Canada
Bill Turner, LIMSI Paris, France
Brian Whitworth, Massey University, New Zealand
Manuel Zacklad, Univ. de Technologie Troyes, France

VENUE
Tilburg is the sixth biggest city in the Netherlands. The name
Tilburg was first mentioned in an old document dating from the year
709. Tilburg is found more frequently in historical sources from the
twelfth century onwards.

Because of its location, Tilburg is often called the 'heart of
Brabant'. Whether you would like to wander through the beautiful
nature which surrounds the city or want to visit a museum, Tilburg
has a lot to offer.

Culture is an important issue in Tilburg. Although the city does not
have many material examples of a rich cultural history, it has a lot
to offer in other fields. Almost every evening you can enjoy live
shows in the centre: popmusic in 013, jazz in Paradox, classical
music in the Concertzaal and performing arts in the Stadsschouwburg.
The musea, amongst which De Pont and Nederlands Textielmuseum, stock
big collections and they house changing expositions.

Tilburg is easy to reach. There are good train connections with
Schiphol Airport Amsterdam (90 minutes) and Brussels Airport.  The
airport closest by is Eindhoven (40 km).

REGISTRATION

Details will be posted on the conference website as soon as finalised.

www.PragmaticWeb.info