Help for CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS Archives

CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS Home

CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS  May 2012, Week 2

CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS May 2012, Week 2

Call for Papers: ISPR 2012 (Intl Society for Presence Research conference)

Matthew Lombard <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 10 May 2012 11:24:57 -0400

CALL FOR PAPERS

ISPR 2012 "Presence Live!" Conference
International Society for Presence Research Annual Conference

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
October 24 - 26, 2012

http://ispr.info

Submission deadline: June 15, 2012

INTRODUCTION

-- What´s it about?

Presence, short for telepresence, happens when people use
technology and overlook at least part of its role in the experience:

A telepresence conferencing system makes us feel as if we´re
face-to-face; an online virtual world seems real; a 3D IMAX film
makes us reach out to touch objects on the screen; we get `lost´
in the worlds of novels, TV shows, movies, videogames and
theme park rides; doctors, engineers, explorers and many others
operate machinery thousands of miles away as if they were at the
remote site; students learn about the world and workers learn
how to do their jobs using compelling simulations; we think of and
interact with computers, agents, avatars, robots and androids as if
they were living social entities even though we know they´re not;
we´re delighted by perceptual illusions in everything from ancient
Trompe-l´oeil paintings to modern digital art. As we expand
technology´s capabilities and applications, we´re having ever
more, and ever more compelling, presence experiences.

-- A New Kind of Presence conference

Following a series of 13 successful PRESENCE conferences,
ISPR 2012 extends presence scholarship to new audiences:
ISPR is teaming with Interwork Media to produce a
ground-breaking event that will showcase ISPR researchers and
research studies to not only a diverse academic community in
communication, computer science, psychology, philosophy, the
arts, business, education and other fields, but to researchers and
professionals in commercial, government, educational and other
industry sectors. Technology firms - hardware, software,
infrastructure, services - will be encouraged to attend to
contribute their findings and projects that support the goals of the
conference.

ISPR 2012 will retain the single-track format and pleasant social
environment of previous conferences while featuring expanded
presentations, workshops and hands-on demonstrations of
presence applications, services and projects.

TOPICS

We seek original, high quality papers and demonstrations that
contribute to our collective understanding of the power and
breadth of presence phenomena and presence applications in
any/every aspect of life. Topics of interest include (but are not
limited to):

* Presence technologies
* Mobile & ubiquitous presence
* Presence applications in entertainment
* Presence applications in games
* Presence applications in medicine and therapy
* Presence applications in the arts and humanities
* Presence applications in augmented/mixed reality
* Presence applications in education
* Presence applications in ...
* Presence theory
* Measures of presence
* Philosophical perspectives on presence
* Psychological perspectives on presence
* Neuropsychology of presence
* The ethics of presence
* Presence in the next 25 years

All accepted papers will be collected in the official conference
proceedings (with ISBN) and will be permanently available for
download in the ISPR conference archive. We expect to have all
accepted papers included in the ACM Digital Library. One or more
special journal issues are likely as well.

CONFERENCE FORMAT

ISPR 2012 will have an interactive format in which all participants
(attendees, presenters, invited speakers) attend each of the
sessions as well as social events, allowing participants to
exchange ideas and build knowledge together as the conference
progresses.

The first two days will feature hands-on demonstrations by
researchers as well as technology and application vendors;
keynote presentations and panels that feature research related to
diverse presence applications; and short, dedicated workshops
on a variety of topics designed to provide focused educational
experiences on subjects related to presence technology, theory
and measurement. The final day of the conference will feature
additional academic presentations on additional presence-related
topics.

The language of the conference is English.

VENUE

The conference will be held in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA.
The birthplace of the nation, Philadelphia is a city rich in history
and steeped in culture. It´s the fourth largest media and
telecommunications market in the country, conveniently located
between New York and Washington, D. C. (each approximately 2
hours away by train). Details about the conference site will be
announced soon.

ACCOMMODATIONS

A free online hotel booking facility with specially discounted rates
for conference attendees will be available via the ISPR web site.

REGISTRATION

Registration will be available online. Fees, which will include
meals and social events, will be at or below those for previous
ISPR PRESENCE conferences; every effort will be made to
reduce fees for participating academics, and particularly for
graduate students.

SUBMISSIONS

We invite researchers and practitioners to submit work in the
categories below. Note that all submissions are to be in APA
format and (with the exception of panel proposals) not identify the
author(s) directly or indirectly (for blind peer review).

PAPERS: Comprehensive descriptions of research or design
work and/or theoretical investigation within the scope of the
conference. Papers must relate to existing literature on presence
and make an original contribution to it. Accepted papers will be
included in the Proceedings and will be allocated time for oral
presentation.

SHORT PAPERS: Short papers may be up to 10 pages in APA
format. Accepted papers will be included in the Proceedings and
will be allocated time for oral presentation.

PANELS: Sets of presentations on a single theme or topic within
the scope of the conference. Submitters are encouraged to be
creative regarding both the topic or theme and the format for
panel proposals (formats that encourage guided discussion are
particularly welcome). Panel proposals must identify and provide
contact information for all proposed participants. Accepted panels
will be included in the Proceedings.

POSTERS: Visual display presentations. Poster proposals must
describe and/or contain early drafts of the visual display.
Accepted poster proposals will be published in the conference
Proceedings. Posters will be displayed on an approximately
70×40 cm board during a dedicated session of the conference
and will be allocated a 2 minute oral preview.

DEMONSTRATIONS/EXHIBITIONS: Step-by-step audiovisual
demonstrations and/or hands-on experiences of non-commercial
work within the scope of the conference. Accepted
demonstration/exhibition proposals will be included in the
conference Proceedings and will be presented during dedicated
sessions of the conference. For the exhibitions of commercial
products, please contact Interwork Media for sponsorship terms
and opportunities:

Timothy Downs
Interwork Media Inc.
Office:  949-766-6785
Mobile:  949-235-8985
Email: [log in to unmask]

All submissions will be made through the EasyChair conference
online submission system and will undergo a double-blind
peer-review process by at least two selected reviewers.

IMPORTANT DATES

June 15, 2012 --Submissions due
August 8, 2012 -- Early registration opens
August 15, 2012 -- Notification of acceptance decisions
September 26, 2012 -- Finished, camera-ready papers due
September 30, 2012 -- Early registration closes
October 24 -26, 2012 -- Conference

CONFERENCE COMMITTEE

Conference Chair:  Matthew Lombard, President, ISPR (Temple
University)

The Program Committee members are prominent members of
ISPR.

FOR MORE INFORMATION

Web site: http://ispr.info
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

About ISPR

The International Society for Presence Research (ISPR) is a
non-profit membership organization founded in 2002 to support
academic research related to the concept of (tele)presence. It
publishes ISPR Presence News, which features news stories
about presence; calls for participation in various presence-related
conferences, publications and projects; job opportunities; and
more, and is available in various formats (RSS feed; individual
item and daily or weekly digest email; Twitter; Facebbok). The
ISPR web site - http://ispr.info - serves as a resource for those
who conduct research, develop theory, design, market, write
about, or simply are interested in, the concept and phenomena of
presence.

We encourage your questions, contributions, comments and
suggestions.

Contact:

ISPR
2020 N. 13th Street, Rm. 205
Philadelphia, PA 19122
USA

Email: [log in to unmask]

ABOUT Interwork Media Inc.

Interwork media is an information services, b2b media and
consulting firm focused on emerging technology communities and
offering innovative technologies to existing media practices. For
our partners - publishing companies, analyst firms, trade groups -
we collaborate to produce high-quality information rich media
properties that deliver personalized, information-rich and
interactive programs for senior management in multiple industry
segments. We have a 10-year history focusing on emerging
technology communities. Education and information exchange
was, and is, the foundation of all of our media initiatives, be they
on the web or in a live event.

Contact:

Interwork Media Inc.
30211 Banderas, Suite 200