Help for CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS Archives

CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS Home

CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS  March 2013, Week 3

CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS March 2013, Week 3

[MobileHCI 2013 Workshop] CFP: Need a Light? - Workshop on Mobile Light Information Systems

Heiko Mueller <[log in to unmask]>

Heiko Mueller <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 20 Mar 2013 09:07:02 +0100

Need a Light? - Workshop on Mobile Light Information Systems
(http://needalight.offis.de)
August 27, 2013, Munich, Germany
Submission deadline: May 10, 2013
Held in conjunction with 15th International Conference on
Human-Computer Interaction with Mobile Devices and
Services (MobileHCI 2013)

Light is one modality of conveying information to users. One basic example
is a traffic light that uses well defined light icons (e.g. green light vs
red or yellow). With proliferation of LED based lighting we see more and
more examples of light displays either used for decoration or for
conveying information on a smaller scale both outdoor and indoor. The main
distinction from conventional displays is that light displays usually use
high power LED lighting, have a relatively low resolution, and do not
always consist of a well aligned light pixels. Lately, we further see the
emergence of mobile/wearable light displays such as the “Damage” bracelet
or “AmbiGlasses”.

Light displays can provide information continuously and unobtrusively.
They can designed to be be perceived at a glance, do not require focused
visual attention and ideally are aesthetically pleasing. On the other
hand, they can be designed to be attention demanding and alerting.
At the same time we see an appearance of connected lighting systems that
can be controlled from anywhere using internet connected devices such as
smartphones. While it might not be new approach for the office domain it’s
only now started to appear in the home domain. Similarly, we see examples
when connectivity and interactivity can be used for making urban
decorative lighting more dynamic and engaging by allowing people to
control some aspects of it.
With this workshop, we want to address the challenges of conveying
information with light displays as well as control of such displays in the
mobile context. We invite work on mobile light displays and the human
interaction with them as well as contributions focused on mobile
interaction with (not necessarily mobile) light displays.

Looking at the mobile context, the amount and type of information that can
be displayed by light displays is key since:
- Visibility may be impaired when an ambient light display is being
carried around by it’s user.
- Portability may be an issue in itself.
- Privacy issues need to be addressed, as light displays need to be
visible in order to work. On the other hand, information is not explicit,
therefore ambient light may well be suited for private/public information
display.
- Social acceptability needs to be considered when designing interfaces
for the mobile context.

Topics
======
We invite concept papers as well as reports on research projects to this
workshop. We envision participants from both industry and academia who
have an interest and/or experience in the following themes:
- Design patterns and methods for mobile light displays
- Prototyping techniques
- Privacy and social acceptance of light in the mobile context
- Infrastructures, platforms, and tools for creating and deploying mobile
light displays
- Evaluation methodologies in the lab and in the "wild"
- Applications and services
- Controlling light displays with mobile devices

Expected Outcome
================
The aim of this workshop is to bring together people who are active in the
area of lighting HCI research. The expected outcome is an overview of the
recent challenges of mobile deployments or interaction and potential ways
to overcome them. We aim to generate insights in new questions that
present themselves when it comes to doing research in this dynamic
landscape of mobile light displays as well as mobile interaction with
light. Participants are expected to discuss, share, and take away
beneficial insights, strategies, tips and tricks in dealing with issues
such as visibility, privacy, acceptability and control. This workshop
website will feature all accepted papers and a brief summary of the
discussion.

Submission Details
==================
"Need a Light?" is intended to be a full-day workshop. Participants are
expected to submit a paper of 2 to 4 pages via email by May 10th 2013. All
submissions must follow the MobileHCI 2013 archive format. General terms
as well as the ACM classification should be removed. The copyright
statement should state that the copyright remains at the authors of the
paper.
Participants will be selected on the basis of the quality of their
position paper in a peer-review process by the organising committee.
Successful submissions will have the potential to raise discussion,
provide insights for other attendees, and illustrate open challenges and
potential solutions. The organizers will select the best submission which
may appear in the International Journal for Mobile HCI with an extended
version.
Authors of accepted submissions will be notified by June 10th 2013. At
least one author of each accepted paper needs to register for the
conference and the workshop itself. Each accepted paper must be presented
at the workshop, whereby each talk should be between 5 to 10 minutes and
should inspire a brief corresponding discussion. Accepted papers will be
distributed amongst the participants prior to the workshop and will be
published on the workshop website.

Submission Instructions
=======================
All submissions will be handled via Email. The documents should be
submitted in PDF format to [log in to unmask] If your submission comes
with supplemental materials, e.g., videos, then everything should be
packed in one ZIP file. If you experience any problems, please email the
workshop's organizers at the abovementioned address.

Important Dates
===============
- May 10th, 2013 - Submission Deadline
- June 10th, 2013 - Notification of Acceptance
- August 1st, 2013 - Camera Ready Due
- August 27th, 2013 - Workshop Date

Organizers
Heiko Müller, OFFIS - Institute for Information Technology
Jutta Fortmann, University of Oldenburg
Benjamin Poppinga, OFFIS - Institute for Information Technology
Dzmitry Aliakseyeu, Philips Research
Jon Mason, Philips Research
Wilko Heuten, OFFIS - Institute for Information Technology
Susanne Boll, University of Oldenburg

Contact
=======