Help for CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS Archives

CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS Home

CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS  April 2013, Week 1

CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS April 2013, Week 1

C&T 2013 Workshop :: ExS 2.0 - Exploring Urban Spaces in the Web 2.0 Era :: 3rd CALL FOR PAPERS

Tue, 2 Apr 2013 07:06:28 +0000

[Our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this CfP]

CfP: ExS 2.0 -  Exploring Urban Spaces in the Web 2.0 Era

*** in conjunction with Communities and Technologies 2013 ***
*** June 30, Munich, Germany ***
*** April 7 2013 - papers due ***
*** April 30 2013 - early bird registration for C&T ***
*** more info at http://exs2013.wordpress.com ***

======== SUMMARY AND THEME ========

We explore urban spaces in our daily lives: on our way to school or work we change our usual routes to see and discover something different, we stumble upon new brand store in the city center, or we go to a fashionable café or restaurant recommended by our friends. All these examples illustrate one of the basic human needs in urban spaces, i.e., our need to discover and acquire novel experiences in urban spaces. These explorations of urban spaces play a key role in the construction of social behaviors ultimately creating habitual space-time routine in everyday life.

However, our experience of exploring urban spaces is currently enhanced and altered with any-time-anywhere access to information. With almost 6 billion mobile phones roaming around the world we can now easily see popular places recommended through likes and comments on Facebook or currently vibrant/most visited ones through FourSquare; we can navigate through Google Maps to our destination of interest; or we can even get a mix of digital and physical information through Layar and Google Glasses.
The above-mentioned services and applications are just some of the examples of Web 2.0 technologies that augment our experience of exploring urban settings. In order to explore some of the sociotechnical aspects within the urban context, the ExS 2.0 investigate questions such as how do we experience urban spaces in the 2.0 web era? What is the nature of mediated experience created by interweaving electronically created 2.0 interaction spaces with architecturally created physical space? What strategy do we use to navigate through digitally augmented urban spaces?

======== TOPICS OF INTEREST ========

In order to stimulate discussion and exchange of ideas on exploring the urban space in the Web 2.0 world we propose the following themes:

- Enabling technologies, software architectures, and protocols for exploring urban spaces with Web 2.0.
- Mobile devices, small and large displays, social networking services, bio- and sensor-based networks as singular or mesh technologies for the urban space.
- Novel applications for mobile devices, public displays, and social networking services that enhance exploration of the urban spaces.
- Novel applications that quantify/visualize current amount of information available in urban spaces.
- Interaction concepts and metaphors for navigation in urban spaces.
- Personalizing the experience of exploring the urban space for people.
- Tools for measuring and assessing the impact of technology on exploration of the urban space.
- Understanding the user experience of exploring the urban space in a holistic way, i.e., both unmediated and mediated through Web 2.0 information.
- Understanding the impact of pervasive information and technology on urban spaces.
- Frameworks and toolkits for public displays, mobile phones, and social networks that work within urban settings.
- User engagement within urban spaces.
- New applications for urban spaces.
- Leveraging social networking services and recommender systems within the urban space.

======== GOALS AND EXPECTED AUDIENCE ========

The intended outcomes of this workshop are the following:

- Bringing together researchers and practitioners to discuss how Web 2.0 and pervasive technologies impact on the experience of exploring the urban space.
- Creating a common understanding and perspective of the challenges related to exploring urban spaces through Web 2.0 and pervasive technologies.
- Propose perspectives on how to address these challenges in future research and development of interactive systems for the urban space.
- Develop a research agenda, i.e., which system, HCI, and UX related issues (e.g. models, factors, measurements) for the urban space are important to be researched within the next five years.

The workshop is intended for:

- HCI researcher interested in the urban space context
- UX experts, who are willing to adapt UX models and extend UX factors to enhance and assess experiences of urban spaces
- Researchers coming from the Ubicomp/ Pervasive/ Wearable area with interest in developing and deploying applications that explore and augment urban spaces
- Public display designers and engineers interested in the urban space context both from a scientific, as well as from an industrial perspective
- Media artists and architects interested in augmenting urban spaces with digital information

======== SUBMISSION FORMAT ========

Workshop candidates are requested to send a position paper 1-2 pages long in the ACM format.

http://exs2013.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/pubform.doc

about their research and link to the workshop theme to the organizers. Participants will be selected on the basis of the relevance of their work and interests and familiarity with the ExS 2.0 workshop topics. Maximum number of workshop participants is expected to be around 20, including workshop organizers.

All submissions should be sent as PDF to [log in to unmask] with "ExS 2.0 2013 Submission" as the email subject.

======== TIMELINE AND DEADLINES ========

Workshop submission deadline: 7 April 2013
Feedback to the authors: 14 April 2011
Early bird registration for C&T: 30 April 2013
Workshop at C&T 2013: 30 June 2013

======== ORGANIZERS ========

Moritz Behrens, The Bartlett, UCL, UK
Nemanja Memarovic, University of Lugano (USI), Switzerland
Martin Traunmueller, ICRI, UCL, UK
Giles Rudkin, TANNER Design, UK
Ava Fatah gen. Schieck, The Bartlett, UCL, UK

**** http://exs2013.wordpress.com ****